Thursday 15 May 2008

Filling in the gap.

Hey all! I've been pretty quiet for a while, and there's a good reason. Honest. (It's not like I've run out of things to say).
Allow me to explain my silence to Justine, and anyone else who raised an eyebrow at the lack of posts.

Like all good stories, it began with a song...

That song was Hard Sun, by Eddie Vedder, the guy from Pearl Jam. It's a good song. I really like it. I was listening at home once (in Canada) and my younger brother Jamie told me that it's a song from a movie he really wanted to watch called Into the Wild. (It's a true story about this guy who gives up the life he has to go live in the Alaskan wild). He showed me the trailer. It looked really good. So I wanted to watch it too. But it wasn't in theatres anymore. Making it a lot harder to watch. For Sinterklaas, I bought Jamie the book that inspired the movie. He read it, then was generous enough to let me borrow it and take it to Africa with me. I read a good chunk of it before I left and finished it soon after arriving. It just made me want to watch the movie even more. Before I left, I checked on British Airways to see what movies they had on the flight, and, wouldn't you know it! Into the Wild was on there! So I was pretty pumped. But, as it turned out, Into the Wild was the one movie on there they DIDN'T play. And it was the only one I wanted to watch. So I was disappointed.

Then I get here. I've finished reading the book. I have the song on my laptop. Every time I listen to the song I want to watch the movie. So I did what I've done dozens of times back home: I downloaded. I got the movie. So I was happy. But a couple months later (a couple weeks ago), the internet turned off on our entire compound. APPARENTLY, downloading a movie owned by Paramount Pictures is not looked too kindly on by our internet providers. So they cut us off for a week. That was the 'warning'. So, I don't think people at the office here were saying anything too nice about me for a while...

Then, right after that, I went on a trip with Beacon of Hope to Jalingo, in Eastern Nigeria (close to Cameroon) for a week. That's the second week of silence. Now I'm back. And there's internet again. But not in my house for the moment (as punishment for being naughty), so I probably won't be able to post pictures or blog as much for a little bit.

Do you want to know the real kicker?

I still haven't watched it.



To apologize for my previously unexplained silence, here's a couple of a bunch of really cool pictures I took during a nighttime thunderstorm in Jalingo. I'll post them (and others) as soon as I can. If I don't break the internet again...

2 comments:

  1. waaay to go trevor. break the internet why dont you.
    nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely done trev! i mean the pictures. that's a pretty funny story too---haha.

    can we send it in the mail or can you wait??!!?

    ReplyDelete