Tuesday 8 April 2008

Finally!

Yay! Pictures!

It's taken me a little while. Ok, quite a while... but I finally have some pictures posted. It's taken me literally all night, so you better be happy. I hope to be in bed by 1.

Most are from Jemkur, which is a remote village in Plateau State (state I'm in). Because of the horrible roads, it took 5 hours to get there. Plateau State isn't even that big. To give you a bit of a frame of reference, Ontario is bigger than all of Nigeria. (With significantly less people). One of the guys from RURCON, plus a guy from another organization, called TASTE, went to this village to show them how to build a sanitary toilet. Many people previously just went in a field or even a stream (which they also use for drinking water). So it's definitely something they need. The idea was to get the villagers to do the work themselves so they would be able to know how to build more, plus it would get them involved and they would be dedicated to the project more. Just giving handouts to people makes them dependent on them and takes away any initiative for them to do certain things themselves.

The toilets themselves are an Indian design (as in from India, not Native). It's a bowl that can be flushed with 1.5 L of water. The pipe splits off into two holes, only one of which is used at a time. After a couple years, the second hole is used and the first one can be used for fertilizer (talk about win-win!)

The village was pretty cool. Not literally, I got burnt, but pretty neat. They don't see white people very often. I scared some kids... But once I pulled out the digital camera, they warmed up to me.

Jemkur pictures are
and here.

Other pictures I have are of Yankari Game Reserve. This place is technically farther than Jemkur, yet takes less than half the time to get there, thanks to good roads. It's a lot of fun there, went with Chinyere, Monica, Janina and Chris and John. We didn't see a whole lot of animals, besides baboons and warthogs. And a lot of birds...
But there was an elephant!
Behind some trees.
It may have been a rock.

The hot spring is what was the most fun there. I mentioned it in my last post I believe. Now you can have a better taste of what it was like in some of my pictures. But I have to say the second trip we took was better. Especially for pictures. So check these ones out, but just so ya know, there's better ones on their way! Eventually. *Edit! Just uploaded the pictures of the second Yankari trip! Ch-ch-ch-check it out now.*

Yankari part 1

CRWRC had it's annual spiritual conference this weekend. It was great. Got a chance to play with kids. Which is always fun. Especially Nico, Mike and Megan's little toddler. He's a lot of fun. I kinda 'kidnapped' him a couple times...

Conference was good. Got the green light from Beacon of Hope. Now I just need my visa. Hopefully that will come soon. Praying it does!

No sermon today.
I need something to talk about tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment