Wednesday 2 April 2008

Two part post.

(This post is another post in two parts. The second part has to do with Africa and pictures. Feel free to skip until there if I start to bore you).

Doing something for yourself (aka, selfish) is arguably basis to end whatever it is you are doing. If I was a boss, and I gave you a promotion, I'd be doing a good thing. But if the real reason I gave you the promotion was because it was the only way I would get a promotion, my halo will have dimmed a few watts. I'd have done it for myself, not because you needed the raise. You probably wouldn't complain because, hey, it's a raise! But I think it raises a moral dilemma. If you do something for yourself (something selfish), but are indirectly doing something good for someone else, is the act itself good?
In other words: does the end justify the means?

It has always bothered me (in interviews or the like), when someone has been asked why they help such and such people, or donate or whatever - and they answer:

"it makes me feel good"

To me, it just seems like the wrong reason. It seems pretty selfish. I've always wanted to tell that person "this person is in need, this person is starving, this person is DYING… and the only reason you want to help him is because it makes you feel good?!?" What about their right to live, even if it doesn't directly make YOU happy? What about the Biblical mandate to help those who need it, whether you benefit from it or not? To me, help/aid/donating involves a sacrifice.
Getting joy out of helping is not wrong whatsoever.
But if the reason WHY I were to donate, give support, feed a homeless person - if the reason is to give myself a pat on the back, to get that 'warm, fuzzy feeling' I think I'd be doing it for the completely wrong reason. The Biblical idea of helping those in need is to put them first.

Often, I think the reason people say this, or give this impression, is not because they themselves are selfish. They're just aware that our society is. We are focused on our individual happiness. To try convince someone that they should donate because it would make someone else happy just doesn't seem to have as much appeal as donating money because it will make YOU happy. And we'd much rather make ourselves happy - if the option is there.

The good Samaritan is the prime example of helping someone in need in the way we are supposed to. He put the injured man first. He went to his aid. He got down, got all bloody picking him up off the side of the road and helped him to the city. He paid a good deal of cash to see that he would get better. He put the injured man first. If the Samaritan had done it so that he himself could feel good, he would have been putting himself first. He would've told everyone he passed that he picked the man up off the street. Maybe have even asked for help, so he could still get the glory but not get as dirty. He'd be telling people that he saved a life. He would've called up the papers to let them know what he did. He would have wanted everyone to know that he breached the huge cultural gap. That he gave up his hard earned cash to pull that man to safety. He helped his enemy. He would've been trying to puff himself up before everyone. But he didn't. Because he put the other man first. He gave things up. Money, obviously. But he also gave up his trip. He was traveling somewhere, possibly in the opposite direction than he brought the man, and gave up getting there on time. Maybe he lost the big business deal. Point is, he gave up something he didn't want to, without getting something in return. He gave up where he was going, what he was doing, and his lunch money - all for the injured man.

To REALLY help someone, to REALLY give yourself, to REALLY donate…

it has to hurt.

If we're not hurting...
we're not giving enough.

Replace 'warm and fuzzy' with passion; a burning desire to help others.

Here ends my 'sermon' as I'm sure Sherri would put it.

Now, onto African things…

The CRC has an annual spiritual conference this weekend (Thursday to Sunday), so I probably won't be updating during that. Not that I've been the most loyal updater lately… I've been trusted with the daunting task of supplying peanuts or popcorn on Thursday as snack food for the group. I don't know if I can handle that. During the conference, I hope to be able to talk to people from Beacon of Hope (the organization I hope to be working with in a couple weeks) and CRWRC staff about me staying on to work with Beacon of Hope and hopefully get my visa woes figured out as soon as possible. If this doesn't get figured out, I might be leaving in less than two weeks. If not, I won't be home for about 4 months from now. Which is really weird. Should I start getting ready to go home, or should I start settling in? I don't think I'm ready to go back yet (disappointing, I know), but we'll see what the Lord has planned. I've heard a response from someone who was quite excited at the idea of me working with Beacon of Hope. Even said something along the lines it being 'an answer to a prayer'.

No pressure...

Another disappointment: still no real new pictures up at the moment. Nothing really 'African' anyway. Some of you have been whining about this *cough*Sherri*cough* but you'll just have to suck in that lip until I have the chance. Which may be soon. But then again, may not. I'm in Africa, so I'm doing things in African time. Crazy people going by your clocks, rushing to get things done. Slow down! Take a breather!

To keep you (somewhat) satisfied, here's
a few teaser pictures of the Yankari game reserve and hot spring we went to recently.

We're all animals.
I'm a tiger!


Chris and I take monkey in the middle very seriously.

This is the hot spring. It is awesome.

Also, some pictures of the eclipse I took a while back. Technically in Nigeria, so there. Also a basketball game and the carnival at the local school. While I'm at it, here's some of my favourite and random shots. That should keep y'all busy for a while.

4 comments:

  1. wooooohooo!!! an update!!!

    btw nice shirt in the monkey picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. tx again for the sermon and the pics trev..they "made me feel good"! sher

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should read sophie's world... I think you'd like it... you kind of have the philosopher thing going on a bit sometimes.
    Hope you're having a great time in Africa you lucky duck!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justine: Campfire, represent!(good eye...)

    Ashley: Thanks for boosting my ego! I love Sophie's World. Don't know if I'm really philosophical or just regurgitating things I've picked up. Probably more like the gadfly in being a pest. (Think it was a gadfly, been a few years since I've read it).

    Sherri: Touché. Very clever.
    Next time, no pictures at all.

    ReplyDelete