Tuesday 3 March 2009

Underlining

So I'm below the equator right now. Neat eh? I'll be here in Kenya until Saturday morning when I take the 5 hour flight to Nigeria. I'm staying at the Methodist Guest House (oddly, their Bibles are Gideon) in Nairobi. This doesn't really feel like Africa though. I'm sitting on a third floor balcony in low 20 degree temperatures, overlooking two large pools. You'd think I was at a resort with the cleaning ladies, meal rooms and the TV in my room.
*Sidenote - couches belong on balconies. I'm pretty sure that's what they were made for, we've just forgotten.*
The trip here was long, but I managed to doze for most of the second flight (save for my neighbour's bladder acting up every hour). I also dozed off in the Amsterdam airport, which has super cozy seats. This is where I found out I cannot trust iPod alarms. Getting my Kenyan visa was a LOT easier than my Nigerian one. All it took was $50 US and a hour wait. To those that don't know, my Nigerian visa took $120 US, an online application, several letters, passport photos, a police check, several letters, documents, phonecalls, and finally a last-minute drive to Ottawa.

I was picked up at the airport by someone holding a sign with my name on it. So that life-goal is now crossed off my list. I mentioned to my taxi driver how I regretted being in Kenya but not being able to see the wild animals. She told me there is a park 30 minutes from where I'd be staying, so I'm debating checking that out later today. It'd be pretty sweet. My workshops/training begin tomorrow, so until then I'm just going to be hanging out, relaxing and getting caught up on jetlag (8 hour difference here).

4 comments:

  1. Hey Trevor, So glad to hear that you are safe and sound! Please say "hello" to all the CRWRC staff ~ if you see them! Iona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horray! I'm glad you had a safe trip. Keep us posted...I enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You made it.

    I was mildly jealous until the part where you got greeted at the airport by someone holding a sign with your name on it. Then, it became very jealous, as in RIDICULOUSLY jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha.
    It was pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete