Tuesday 19 February 2008

What I've learned....

So I've been here for one month and two days. I thought I would make a summary of some of the things I've learned in Nigeria.

Driving:
  • The horn is the most vital part of a car
  • Streetlights are for show. They don't turn on.
  • If you have to pee, just pull over and go, there's no need to try find a tree or bush.
  • Fitting 8 people into a car is no challenge.
  • If your car breaks down in the middle of an intersection, that's where you fix it.
  • Fit as much stuff onto one truck as possible using as little rope as possible. If you don't have any rope, get someone to climb up and hold it down while you drive.
  • If you need to go somewhere with your kid, but only have a motorcycle, she rides on your lap.
  • Helmets don't exist.
Food:
  • Oranges are green.
  • Oranges that are orange have gone bad.
  • If you're not sweating from the heat, the peppers'll get ya.
  • I love pounded yams.
  • Fingers are great utensils.
  • I don't know how to make any food other than pancakes.
  • I eat a lot of pancakes.
Random stuff:
  • Yellow Fever is a policeman in an orange shirt. Or a deadly disease.
  • I'm a lousy tennis player.
  • Gecko's are quick.
  • I can do the broom dance.
  • The power will go out as I try to post this.
  • Working with Nigerians all day and hanging out with English and Irish people all night makes me think with an accent.
  • The entire James Bond collection can fit on one DVD.
  • 15°C is "cold".
  • A guest to the church will be asked to stand up while the congregation sings a welcome song.
  • If you have garbage, make a pile and burn it on the side of the road.
  • I'm a bature
  • I stick out. A lot.

3 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to the sixth point! In Jordan, one of the girls I went with was British and one was Irish... by the time i left, I was thinking in the wierdest accent i can imagine.... arabic/british/irish/canadian

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting to the point where I can't understand myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the last 2 posts- now I can imagine you a bit in Africa. Hopefully you can find a real great purpose while your out there- but maybe you are there to just live and think- to meditate on the Bible. God has a plan for you- so enjoy the adventure of it all!
    We are proud of you (and some what jealous!)
    T and E Hoeksema family

    ReplyDelete