Sunday 11 October 2009

Thank God for pain!

I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject from personal experience, especially not presently. The most I have is a small sore inside my upper lip that refuses to heal and stings anytime I try to eat. It's placement is pretty annoying as it's constantly being irritated by my tooth, making it's healing process quite long. But anyway, the reason for this post is because of the sermon I just heard. I didn't catch his name, but he's a retired pastor from the States on his 16th trip to Nigeria! He's been working very closely with an organization that makes wheelchairs available here. Apparently polio is most common here in Nigeria, especially in the North (where I'm going in about 30 minutes and I'm frantically packing a last few minute things). He spoke of a scientist who dealt a lot with leprosy (I wrote the doctor's name down, but have packed my notebook already, will post later). He shattered the centuries-old belief that leprosy caused the deterioration of the flesh and the need for amputation by discovering that the lack of feeling pain was it's source. Because the patients couldn't feel pain, they didn't know to take care of small sores. These eventually became infections and would lead to amputations. Amputations because of no pain. If there was still pain during infection, countless people would still have their limbs. Pain is important.

Thank God for pain.

The pastor also spoke of another reason for our pain. That our pain is for another's benefit.

2 Corinthians 1:3-7
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
Our pain helps us to heal. Our pain helps us to heal others.

I can't say a whole lot more on this as I've got to get a quick shower in before I run out. I'll leave you with the song we sang to close the service.
Brother, let me be your servant.
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey.
We are brothers on the road.
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you
In the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you;
Speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping.
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven,
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony.

Brother, let me be your servant.
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.
Thank God for pain!

I'll be back on Friday to share my week with you!

ps, I just remembered... today's my birthday! :)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Threv!
    ;)
    also,that song made me miss singing at church in Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Trevor. We were going to call you from the cottage, but phone reception was not cooperating very well. :P In any case, see you in December!!!

    ReplyDelete